This release is available for the Windows Mobile 6 software platform. If you're viewing this on an Windows Mobile device, install Fennec.
Don't have a Windows Mobile device? Don't worry, you can still experiment with Fennec, provide feedback, write add-ons, and get involved by installing a version of Fennec for your desktop PC:
While the destkop versions of Fennec are not supported products, they are a great way to familiarize yourself with the Fennec UI, provide feedback, build add-ons, or even localize it to your native language.
What's in this version?
New in this release:
- New Add-Ons Manager
- New Downloads Manager
- New CSS based theme
- jemalloc, the memory management library used by Mozillla.
- Faster application start-up time
- Faster panning
- Faster zooming
- Initial implementation of bookmark folders and bookmark editing
This builds upon the feature set of previous milestone releases:
Easy navigation to Web content:
- Bookmarks, including tags
- Smart URL bar ("awesome bar")
- Tabbed browsing with thumbnail images
- Integrated Web search - built into the URL bar
- Easy access to multiple search engines
- Maximize content by auto-hiding controls and URL bar
- Zoom in and out
- Instant Web site ID ("Larry")
- Password manager
- Popup blocker
- Clear private data
Devices services integration:
- Click on a phone number to initiate a call
- Searchable download manager
- Preferences pane
- Add-ons manager, including ability to directly find and install add-ons
- Windows Mobile device running Windows Mobile Professional 6.0 of greater.
- If you're viewing this on an Windows Mobile Device, click here to install Fennec
- Read here for step by step instructions
Install a version of Fennec for your desktop PC:
Tips and tricks
- swipe left to expose back/forward/bookmark buttons and the URL bar; swipe right to dismiss them
- swipe right to expose tabs; swipe left to dismiss them
- Bug 458741: Allow panning/scrolling in iframes - Websites that display large amounts of content in IFrames, including Google Mail and Reader, will be very hard, if not impossible, to use.
- Plugins may not work in some of the desktop builds.
- Bug 492880: Extension Manager UI is too wide in portrait orientation
- Bug 492828: Sometimes clicking on a link will highlight the link bug not navigate to it
- Bug 492827: Selected link highlight takes too long
- Bug 479753: viewport should dynamically resize based on window size - Page is layed out wider than the screen in many cases forcing the user to pan horizontally to read text.
- Bug 492111: Cannot accept/decline invalid certificate - The buttons to accept or dismiss an invalid certifacate are placed outside of the viewport and it is not possible to pan them into view.
- Bug 492084: Sometimes canvas doesn't paint after page load until the user pans or clicks - Occationally a web site will load completely (as indicated by the throbber) but the previously rendered page will still be displayed. Clicking or panning the page causes the current page to be displayed
- Bug 492073: Identity info doesn't update after tab switch
- Bug 489589: Password Manager fails on Windows Mobile - The meta data table in our sqllite database is not being initialized correctly, causing sdb_PutMetaData to fail.