This release is available for the OS2008 ("Maemo") software platforms that runs on the Nokia N810 Internet Tablets. If you're viewing this on an N810, install Fennec.
Don't have an N810? Don't worry, you can still experiment with Fennec, provide feedback, write add-ons, and get involved by installing a version of Fennec for your desktop PC:
The idea behind releasing the package for PCs is to give people who don't have a Nokia Internet Tablet the ability to localize, experiment and build add-ons. Note: The desktop version of Fennec is not a supported product.
What's in this version?
New for Beta 1:
- Faster application start-up time
- Faster panning
- Faster zooming
- Initial implementation of bookmark folders and bookmark editing
- Support for plug-ins
This builds upon the feature set of the alpha releases:
Easy navigation to Web content:
- Bookmarks, including tags
- Smart URL bar ("awesome bar")
- Tabbed browsing with thumbnail images
- Integrated Web search - built into the URL bar
- Easy access to multiple search engines
- Maximize content by auto-hiding controls and URL bar
- Zoom in and out
- Instant Web site ID ("Larry")
- Password manager
- Popup blocker
- Clear private data
Devices services integration:
- Click on a phone number to initiate a call
- Searchable download manager
- Preferences pane
- Add-ons manager, including ability to directly find and install add-ons
- Nokia N810 Internet Tablet running OS2008 ("chinook" or "diablo")
- If you're viewing this on an N810, click here to install Fennec
- Read here for step by step instructions
Install a version of Fennec for your desktop PC:
Tips and tricks
- to use the full screen for browsing, click the button on the left hand side on top of the device (to the left of the -/+ buttons)
- swipe left to expose back/forward/bookmark buttons and the URL bar; swipe right to dismiss them
- swipe right to expose tabs; swipe left to dismiss them
- Bug 458741: Allow panning/scrolling in iframes - Websites that display large amounts of content in IFrames, including Google Mail and Reader, will be very hard, if not impossible, to use.
- Plugins may not work in some of the desktop builds.