This release is available for the Maemo OS2008 and Maemo 5 software platforms running on the Nokia N810 and N900 Internet Tablets. If you're viewing this on an N810 or N900, install Fennec.
Don't have an N810 or N900? Don't worry, you can still experiment with Fennec, provide feedback, write add-ons, and get involved by installing a version of Fennec for your desktop PC:
The idea behind releasing the package for PCs is to give people who don't have a Nokia Internet Tablet the ability to localize, experiment and build add-ons. Note: The desktop version of Fennec is not a supported product.
What's in this version?
New for Beta 4:
- Build now works on the N900
- Streamlined bookmarking, editing, and management
- Install and manage search engines
- Improved touch-friendly theme
- Improved panning and zooming performance
- Support for add-on options in the Add-ons Manager
- Integration with Maemo5 system UI controls
- Notification of tabs opened in the background
- Numerous other bugs and polish issues addressed
This builds upon the feature set of the previous releases:
Easy navigation to Web content:
- Smart URL bar ("awesome bar")
- Integrated Web search - built into the URL bar
- Easy access to multiple search engines
- Touch-oriented UI
- Maximize content by auto-hiding controls and URL bar
- Zoom in and out
- Touch-enabled bookmarking, controls, tabs
- Tabbed browsing allows view of multiple thumbnails
- Ability to scroll iframes
- Instant Web site ID ("Larry")
- Password manager
- Popup blocker
- Clear recent history
- Customized security settings
- Automated Update
- Add-ons manager, including ability to find and install add-ons directly to device
- Location-Aware browsing
- Offline browsing
- Download manager
- Preferences pane
- Spell checker
- Memory management
Devices services integration:
- Click on a phone number to initiate a call
- Nokia N900
- Nokia N810 or N800 Internet Tablets running OS2008 ("chinook" or "diablo")
- If you're viewing this on an N900, N810 or N800, click here to install Fennec
- Read here for step by step instructions
Install a version of Fennec for your desktop PC:
Tips and tricks
- to use the full screen for browsing, click the button on the left hand side on top of the device (to the left of the -/+ buttons)
- swipe left to expose back/forward/bookmark and settings buttons; swipe right to dismiss them
- swipe right to expose tabs; swipe left to dismiss them
- stowed away URL bar full page viewing; URL bar reappears when you begin an action
- touch Settings button to adjust preferences; touch button again to go back
- Flash is currently disabled due to stability and performance reasons. Will be re-enabled in a future version.
- Bug 481950: It is difficult to type in passwords in password fields.
- Plugins may not always work properly in some of the desktop builds.
- Devices must have sufficient RAM (128 MB or higher) to run Fennec.